This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.



Psalm 118:24 - BGlad!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Birthday USA!

What have I been working on?
Well . . . in our family July is almost like Christmas.
We celebrate all these birthdays in the first 10 days of the month: mother-in-law, brother, 2 nephews, sister-in-law, niece, mom. Needless to say, I've been working on birthday cards!! Those, unfortunately, I don't have photos of yet, but I do have this project that I finished up just before our trip.


I was inspired by this post at Knock-Off Wood.
Which was inspired by this accessory from Pottery Barn.
The best part is it cost me practically nothing because I made it from this . . .


That's right - styrofoam!! I had saved some packing foam from recent purchases, so I had a great canvas to start the project. I cut the foam to size (mine is 21" square) with this tool that I bought on ebay last year.
Next I drew out my design in pencil and I used my woodburning tool

to define the "panels", stars and stripes. I also made some gouges and "worm holes" with the woodburner to make the panel look more wood-like.
I brushed black acrylic paint in the indentations. Next I selected several shades of red, white, blue and gray paints to give the project a patriotic look. When the colors were dry I used a dry brush and rag with a bit more black paint to create shadows, definition and give a more aged appearance. The final step was to coat the "board" with a layer of water-based acrylic sealer so I could display it outside.


I plan to add more to this display - but summer is just too hectic right now!!

By the way, these are the same basic steps I used to make this project.













The Beach Sign Mystery is solved at last!

To celebrate the summer weekend ahead I'm sharing a fireworks cutting file.



GSD
SVG
EPS

Have a safe and fun weekend!!














E-mail requests and/or comments




SYS Thurs

giveaways

1 comment:

  1. So festive and fun! Thanks for joining the Patriotic Parade!
    have a safe and happy 4th!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thanks for visiting!